“Lorna is down-to-earth and easy to work with. Though time may have pass and we don’t have the chance to see each other personally, there still exist an unexplainable bond between us.” – Monet Lu, award-winning celebrity beauty stylist
Lorna Tolentino, Maricel Soriano, Sharon Cuneta – these are the big names of their times, and of all times, too, together with Vilma Santos-Recto and Nora Aunor. But, today, we’ll get to know L.T. (as Lorna is called by many) more.
1. L.T. was born Victoria Lorna Aluquin-Fernandez on December 23, 1963 in Concepcion, Tarlac. Her dad is from Liliw, Laguna. She is also the stepmother of actor Mark Anthony Fernandez. She is first cousin to actress Amy Perez, Zsa Zsa Padilla and a niece of actor Jerry Pons. She was married to actor Rudy Fernandez from 1983 till his death in 2008. They have two children.
2. L.T. is well-educated. Despite her busy schedule as an actor, she managed to finish her higher education taking a Bachelor of Arts degree at St. Paul University, University of Santo Tomas, and Maryknoll College (now Miriam College).
3. L.T. started her acting career at a young age, too. As a child, she appeared in such films as “Huwag Mo Kaming Isumpa”, “Mga Anghel na Walang Langit”, and “Divina Gracia”.
4. L.T. is a Grand Slam actor. Along with Sharon Cuneta, Vilma Santos, and Nora Aunor, L.T. is also a recipient of the most coveted Grandslam Best Actress Award. The award was given to her in 1993 for her heart-wrenching performance in the movie Narito Ang Puso Ko (1993).
5. L.T. is best known for her roles in numerous Filipino films and television series that earned her three FAMAS Awards, four FAP Awards, and five Star Awards between 1993 and 2010. She starred in such television series as “Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay” and “Dahil May Isang Ikaw”.
6. L.T. left her career upon learning of Rudy Fernandez’ illness (Rudy is her partner in life). Lorna did not mind leaving behind everything, including her career in order to focus on her husband’s well-being.
Quoting her friend and stylist, Monet Lu:
I witnessed her transition from being an A-list actress to a full-time housewife here in the States – cooking, cleaning, and looking after her two sons Raphael and Renz. In spite of all her accomplishments and fame, she continually put her loved ones first. The unconditional love between Lorna and Rudy stood up to the adage “in sickness and in health.”
7. Lorna is now a proud grandmother to Lyla Victoria, daughter of her eldest son Raphael who very much resembles Rudy’s facial features.
8. L.T., being a great mother as she is and an intelligent woman also, has raised intelligent sons, too. Her son Ralph is a graduate of Interdisciplinary Studies from Ateneo de Manila. On the other hand, her son Renz is a graduate of Philosophy from the University of the Philippines in Diliman.
9. L.T.’s most moving comeback to Philippine cinema is her “sensitive portrayal” of a mother longing for her lost son. L.T. played the role of Edita Burgos in the film “Burgos” – a film by Joel Lamangan and Ricky Lee. The film tackles the true-to-life and ongoing crusade of Edita Burgos, mother of abducted activist Jonas Burgos.
10. L.T. had also produced films. These films include Hula Mo, Huli Ko (2002), Itataya Ko Ang Buhay Ko (1996), Matimbang Pa Sa Dugo (1995), Kahit Buhay Ko (1992), Kamay ni Kain (1992), Kislap Sa Dilim (1991), and Kaaway ng Batas (1990) among others.