Actress Jaclyn Jose made waves of news and cause us Filipinos too much happiness recently when she won at the Cannes Film Festival 2016 for Best Actress. Jaclyn is also best known from her memorable roles in the films Salome, White Slavery, and Santa Juana.
1. Jaclyn Jose’s real name is Mary Jane Santa Ana Guck. She was born on March 16, 1964. She is of German American descent. Jaclyn is the second among 6 siblings. She has a half-sister, Veronica Jones, who was an actress in the ’70s and ’80s.
In her interview on GMA 7’s Tunay na Buhay in 2013, Jaclyn explained the reason behind her screen name.
“Binigay iyan ng aking (It was given to me by the) producer at director na si William Pascual. Because my sister’s name was too foreign-sounding – Veronica Jones. So gusto niya meron (he wanted something that has) recall. So Jaclyn Jose di ba?”
2. Jaclyn Jose is Andi Eigenmann’s mother.
3. She met the late actor Mark Gil while shooting the movie “Itanong Mo sa Buwan”. Their relationship gave them a daughter – Andrea Nicole or Andi Eigenmann born in 1990. Their relationship according to the Tunay na Buhay report lasted two years.
4. Jaclyn Jose’s work includes “Sana Ay Ikaw Na Nga” in 2002 and “Te Amo” in 2004. Her series “Zorro” aired on GMA Network. She has starred in the soaps “Babalik Kang Muli” and “Nagsimula sa Puso”.
5. Jose is also known for her notable works with actors Juan Rodrigo both in TV and film adaptations of the Primetime Soap Opera, “Mula Sa Puso” as the iconic Magda and 80’s films such as “Hati Tayo Sa Magdamag” (VIVA Films) and “White Slavery” (directed by Lino Brocka) and starred with Anne Curtis in “Dyosa” in 2008 and “A Secret Affair”.
6. This year, Jaclyn Jose starred in Brillante Mendoza’s Palme d’Or-nominated film “Ma’ Rosa” where she won the Cannes Film Festival Award for Best Actress.
7. Jaclyn Jose was the first Southeast Asian to be conferred with the Cannes Film Festival Award for Best Actress.
8. Earlier in her career, she appeared in sexy movies. In the interview on Tunay na Buhay, Jaclyn said that she started to work after her sister decided to settle down and start a family. In 1984, she was launched in the movie “Chikas”. She also did the movie “White Slavery” in 1985 directed by Lino Brocka, as well as “Private Show”, “Takaw Tukso”, and more.
These days, Jaclyn is known for her antagonist roles as Stella Vergara-Montecillo in “The Millionaire’s Wife”, Señora Angelika Santibañez in “MariMar”, and Mundo’y Mo Akin, where she played “Doña Charito Carbonel”.
9. Jaclyn is a devoted mother and grandmother. On her Instagram account, many of the photos are of her granddaughter Ellie, Andi’s daughter, born in 2011.
10. Jaclyn Jose puts her family above all else. Growing up in a broken family, Jaclyn Jose knows the struggle of keeping her sibling intact amidst adversities. That’s why as a single mother, Jaclyn works hard to make her two children, Andi and Gwen, feel that they belong to a normal family just like those of their play/schoolmates.