Prior to Coco Martin’s breakthrough roles in Philippine television, Coco also became famous for starring in independent Filipino films. He was dubbed the “Prince of Philippine Independent Films”. The Prince eventually ascended to power and is now dubbed as the King of Philippine Teleseryes, King of Philippine Independent Films and the King of Primetime.
In an effort to get to know the reigning King of Philippine Independent Films, we’ve compiled a list of interesting facts about Coco Martin. Enjoy!
1. Coco Martin’s real full name is Rodel Luis Nacianceno. He was born on November 1, 1981. He’s 34 years old now. Perhaps you are wondering how Coco Martin got his screen name. Well, it has a funny story behind it.
When he was assigned his screen name, then-showbiz newcomer Rodel Nacianceno felt he wasn’t being taken seriously.
Coco Martin, as he is known now, recalled in an interview on “Gandang Gabi Vice” aired Sunday how he got the name, which has so far been credited in some 20 TV shows and 30 films since 2005.
The 34 year-old actor, who is dubbed local showbiz’s “King of Primetime,” said his screen name was suggested by talent manager Ed Instrella, who handles the careers of film veterans Jaclyn Jose and Cherry Pie Picache, among others.
“Nung nagsisimula kasi ako, siyempre, marami sa’yong tumutulong,” Martin said. “Sabi niya sa akin, ‘Alam mo, may bagay na pangalan sa’yo — Coco Martin.’ Sabi ko, ‘Coco Martin? Parang hindi seryoso. Parang pinag-trip-an lang.’ Honestly, iyon ang nasa isip ko no’n!”
Martin recalled his amusement with Instrella’s reason for picking “Coco Martin.” The talent manager, Martin recalled, simply put together names of international singers who were popular at the time.
“Sabi ko, ‘Bakit Coco Martin?’ Sabi daw, that time kasikatan ni Ricky Martin atsaka ni Coco Lee. Sabi ko, ‘Parang pinag-tripan lang ako!'” he said.
2. Martín studied Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management at National College of Business and Arts Fairview campus.
3. Coco Martin appeared on TV for a movie by ABS-CBN talent agency (Star Magic), Luv Text, in 2001. He was credited for his original name, Rodel Nacianceno. After this cameo appearance, he focused on many independent films which gained him several awards and recognitions.
4. In between 2001 (his first cameo appearance through ABS-CBN) and 2007 (when he joined GMA Network), Martin starred in several independent films where he got more popular. These include Masahista (which won him the Young Critics Circle Best Actor Award of 2006), and Summer Heat in 2006. In 2007, he joined GMA Network and appeared in Daisy Siete and became a member of the boy-group The Studs. Martin didn’t leave his involvement with independent films. He starred in a gay-themed independent film, Daybreak, and was recognised by Gawad Urian Award as Best Supporting Actor.
5. Martin was catapulted to full stardom when he joined ABS-CBN in 2008 and was given lead roles in Tayong Dalawa (Best Drama Actor Award), Nagsimula sa Puso, Kung Tayo’y Magkakalayo, Tonyong Bayawak, Sa’yo Lamang, 1DOL, Minsan Lang Kita Iibigin, and many others. Today he’s assuming the leading role in the TV adaptation of the Fernando Poe Jr.’s film Ang Probinsyano, reuniting with Maja Salvador as his leading lady. It’s one of the most watched primetime shows in the Philippines at present. This year, he is set to do a movie with Angel Locsin under Star Cinema.
6. Coco Martin is currently holding the record of more than 70 awards and over 30 nominations from different award giving bodies since 2006.
7. Coco Martin is already 34 years old and has no girlfriend. Martin, one of the country’s most eligible bachelor revealed that the main reason why he has no girlfriend until today is that his main priority right now is to save up for himself and for his family.
Although he’s not yet in a relationship with anybody at the moment, he admitted that he wants to have a child. According to Coco Martin putting his family first is his most important lessons learned from his grandmother, who looked after him growing up.
Coco Martin was quoted as saying “Isipin [ko dapat] ‘yung future. Kasi yung future ko na ‘yun, hindi ako but ‘yung pamilya ko, ‘yung mga magulang ko, ‘yung mga kapatid ko at ‘yung magiging pamilya ko balang araw,” he said.
Coco Martin allegedly has a daughter named Coleen Beatrice, from a previous relationship with actress, Katherine Luna. DNA tests however showed that the child is not his.
8. Coco Martin said that Maja Salvador was his longtime celebrity crush before playing her love interest in the TV series “Minsan lang kita iibigin”.
9. Before becoming a successful actor in showbiz, he was once an overseas worker as a janitor for housekeeping in Alberta, Canada.
10. Martín is a devotee of the Black Nazarene. During his childhood years, Coco usually went to the Quiapo Church with his grandmother to seek guidance from the Black Nazarene.